Monday, September 28, 2009

Mount Augustus, WA

Mt Augustus (Burringurrah) is twice the size of Uluru and it rises abruptly 715 metres out of an extensive, stony, red sandplain of arid shrubland dominated by spinifax, cassias and wattle. The mount is a sandstone and quartz massif.

Time to get out the serious gear. Notice my climbing boots and my mosquite net on my hat.

I was not game to do the 12 kms return climb up the summit of the mount as Andrew did. But before he climbed Mt Augustus in the afternoon, in the morning we did the 6kms return climb to Edney’s Lookout which satisfied my desire for elevated views without the more strenuous Summit Trail.

The shot above is me munching a muesli bar reward at Edney’s Lookout. Andrew did 18kms overall – all in a day’s work for him. No wonder at Cobra station the lady admired his calf muscles – she told us later that her husband had commented on her gaze.

This photo is out of sequence (Andrew will kill me) as it is back at the Kennedy Ranges looking down into Temple Gorge.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment